|【英語タイトル】Packaging Industry in Germany - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2021 - 2026)|
The German packaging industry is expected to record a CAGR of over 4.1% during the forecast period (2021 – 2026). With a production volume approximated to hover around EUR 4.1 billion a year, the German packaging machine industry is projected to be ranked second in the world, after the United States, and ahead of Japan and Italy.
- The country is witnessing a demand for smaller pack sizes in the packaged food and personal care industries. This trend is further expected to intensify over the forecast period. The increase in the number of small or single-person households, the demand for convenience through on-the-go packaging and resealability, and the best-before date recommendation strongly benefit the demand for packaging materials used for products, such as sauces, dressings and condiments, confectionery, and processed fruits and vegetables.
- Owing to the increasing employability of women, there has been an upward trend in the level of disposable incomes. Furthermore, the high birth rates in the country are influencing the demand for packaged baby food.
- The consumption of flexible plastics is expected to increase, driven by various advantages, such as lightweight. Additionally, the demand for small and convenient packaging and improvements in design are aiding this trend.
- Over the forecast period, the products that are considered as green packaging materials are expected to witness an increase in usage, owing to the increasing regulations against the high degree of plastic pollution. Owing to such restrictions, paper and glass packaging are anticipated to witness high demand in the industry, as they can be considered as substitution possibilities for plastics.
Key Market Trends
Plastic Packaging to Hold Dominant Share
Being the largest producer of chemicals and plastics in Europe, Germany is home to Europe’s leading packaging industry.
According to current trend assessments, the German Plastics Packaging Industry Association estimated a 5.1% increase in the sales of plastic packaging in Germany, during the current year, while indicating a 3.9% increase in volume.
As compared to other packaging products, consumers have shown an increasing inclination toward plastic packaging, as plastic packages are lightweight and easier to handle. Similarly, even the major manufacturers prefer to use plastic packaging solutions, because of the low cost of production.
For individual product groups, such as bottles, an increase in the price of raw materials has become noticeable, reflecting in a high revenue growth. If the trend continues as expected this year, the sector’s turnover may reach EUR 15.5 billion.
Furthermore, the plastic segment of the German packaging industry is expected to gradually favour the use of flexible solutions over rigid plastic materials, owing to the various advantages that they offer, such as better handling and disposal, cost-effectiveness, visual appeal, and convenience.
The German packaging industry is competitive, because of the presence of many players running their businesses at national and international levels. The industry is mildly concentrated, with the presence of major players, like Amcor Limited, Bemis Company Inc., and Berry Plastics Corporation, among others. Mergers and acquisitions of relevant businesses and business units for strategic growth have been the recurring phenomena and global trend in the packaging industry.
- May 2019 – Amcor Limited and Bemis Company Inc. announced that they received regulatory clearance from the US Department of Justice, in relation to the combination of the two companies. A condition of this approval was the previously announced sales of certain assets of Amcor in the United States to Tekni-Plex Inc.
- February 2019 – Amcor Limited launched Genesis, a new in-store recyclable laminate solution. The company, with this product, targets a wide range of segments, including fresh fruits and vegetables, frozen food, dried fruits, nuts, confectionery, chilled goods, and pet food. The product is adaptable to a variety of packaging types and is appropriate for use in the medical, home, and personal care markets.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Increased Demand for Convenient Packaging
4.3.2 Increased Emphasis for Product Differentiation
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 Increasing Stringent Regulations Regarding Non-biodegradable Materials
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness – Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.7 Technology Snapshot
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.4 Other Materials
5.2 Packaging Type
5.3 End-user Vertical
5.3.4 Household and Personal Care
5.3.5 Other End-user Verticalss
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Amcor PLC
6.1.2 Ball Corporation
6.1.3 Crown Holdings Incorporated
6.1.4 International Paper Co.
6.1.5 Mondi PLC
6.1.6 Owens-Illinois Inc.
6.1.7 Reynolds Group Holdings Ltd
6.1.8 Sealed Air Corporation
6.1.9 Smurfit Kappa Group PLC
6.1.10 WestRock Co.
6.1.11 Berry Plastics GmbH
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS