|【英語タイトル】Glass Bottles and Containers Market - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2021 - 2026)|
The glass bottles and containers market was valued at USD 63.11 billion in 2020, and it is expected to reach a value of USD 80.21 billion by 2026, at a CAGR of 4.13% over the forecast period 2021-2026. Glass bottles and containers are majorly used in the alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverage industry, due to their ability to maintain chemical inertness, sterility, and non-permeability.
- Glass packaging is 100% recyclable, which makes it a desirable packaging option from the environmental point of view. 6 tons of recycled glass directly save 6 tons of resources and reduce the emission of CO2 by 1 ton.
- One of the main factors driving the growth of the market is the increase in beer consumption worldwide. Beer is one of the alcoholic beverages that use glass bottles for packaging. It is packed in dark-colored glass bottles to preserve the contents, which are prone to spoilage when exposed to UV light. Additionally, according to the NBWA Industry Affairs, 2019, the US consumers who are 21 years and older consume over 26.5 gallons of beer and cider per person annually.
- Owing to its many benefits, glass packaging is on the rise for both the cosmetics and fragrance industries. Moreover, emerging economies are anticipated to create a favorable demand for cosmetics and perfume products and their packaging. India is one of the fastest-growing markets for cosmetic consumption and production.
- Additionally, the increasing banning initiatives by the government and the related regulatory bodies for using the PET bottles and containers for drug packaging and delivery is expected to see its consumption taking a hit. This is expected to boost the demand for glass bottles and containers over the forecast period.
- Glass packaging is considered for premium products and a gold standard in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverages, cosmetics, and liquor packaging. The beverage industry holds a prominent share of the global packaging demand for glass. The outbreak of the COVID-19 liquor industry is observing a significant drop in demand as it not be deemed as an essential industry by governments.
- In the case of the pharmaceutical industry, major suppliers of ingredients and generic drugs suppliers are China and India. Factors, such as the lockdown placed in India and production halt in China during the months of February and March, have negatively impacted the supply chain in the industry, which is, in turn, affecting manufacturing facilities in both North America and Europe.
Key Market Trends
Liquor Beverages is expected to Account for Significant Market Share
- Glass is among the most preferred packaging material for packaging alcoholic beverages, such as spirits. The ability of glass bottles in preserving the aroma and flavor of the product is driving the demand. Various vendors in the market studied are also observing the increasing demand from the spirit industry. For instance, Piramal Glass, whose clients include Diageo, Bacardi, and Pernod Ricard, mentioned that it sees an increase in the demand for short-run specialty bottles for spirits.
- The glass bottle is most favored in wine packaging, especially colored glass; reason being, that wine should not be exposed to sunlight; otherwise, it gets spoiled. The growing consumption of wine is expected to spearhead the glass packaging demand over the forecasted period; for instance, according to OIV, the global wine production during fiscal 2018 stood at 292.3 million hectoliters.
- According to the United Nations of Fine Wines, Veganism is one of the fastest-growing wine trends and is also expected to be reflected in wine production, leading to more vegan-friendly wines, which will require the glass bottles because of zero rates of chemical reactions ensuring that the wine inside a glass bottle has its aroma, and flavor intact.
- More and more liquor manufacturers are becoming conscious of the use of recycled materials in their packaging and increasing the percentage of recycled glass used in their bottles. For instance, Absolut has vowed to minimize the packaging waste with the launch of a limited-edition design made from 41% of recycled glass.
Asia- Pacific is Expected to Hold the Largest Market Share
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to register a significant growth rate compared to other nations owing to an increase in demand for pharmaceutical and chemical industries, which prefers glass packaging because of the inert nature of glass bottles. China, India, Japan, and Australia among others are the prominent nations majorly contributing to the growth of the Asia Pacific glass packaging market.
- The pharmaceutical and healthcare sector in China is one of the largest markets in the world, mainly driven by its ageing population. Due to the recent regulatory changes in the country, the foreign pharmaceutical companies are facing difficulties in conducting business, especially when it comes to market entry and price control. Hence, there is a potential growth opportunity for the domestic players as they might experience an increase in demand for glass bottles and containers from these companies.
- In India, only the reusage of glass packaging solution, especially bottles, is increasing. As the Indian consumers are emphasizing on health, they are showing preference toward glass packaging over other options, as it prevents leaching from its surface. Also, the country comprises many companies, including Hindustan National Glass and Asahi India Glass, offering glass packaging solutions across the industries.
- Japan boasts of one of the fastest-growing pharmaceutical industries after the United States, and is continuously focusing on strong innovation and patent drugs. The Government of Japan is also contributing to the growth through deregulations for international companies to invest, thus driving the pharmaceutical market in the country
- In July 2019, METI, Japan developed three new Japanese Industrial Standards and revised eight standards, for promotion of distribution of materials made by recycling of waste glass bottles and to further direct efforts for the establishment of a sustainable resource-recycling society.
The glass bottles and containers market is highly competitive and fragmented. Few of the major companies in this market are Owens-Illinois Inc., Hindustan National Glass & Industries Ltd, Vitro, S.A.B. De CV, Amcor Ltd, etc. These established vendors with strong access to distribution channels have a strong foothold in the market studied.
- January 2020 – Ardagh Group, Glass – North America, a business unit of the company and the largest domestic manufacturer of glass bottles for the US wine market, introduced six new sophisticated glass wine bottle designs.
- November 2019 – Owens-Illinois set up a glass collection center at its headquarters for America Recycles Day. O-I collected the glass and hauled it to a Rumpke Recycling facility to be processed. Some of the recyclables will later be sent to O-I’s glass manufacturing sites in Zanesville, Ohio, and Lapel, Indiana, to be repurposed into fiberglass or new packages for wine and beer.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness – Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Industry Policies
4.5 Market Drivers
4.5.1 Higher Disposable Income and Integration in Premium Packaging
4.5.2 Improved Technology Offering Better Solutions
4.6 Market Restraints
5 INFLUENCE OF COVID-19 ON GLASS BOTTLES & CONTAINERS MARKET
6 MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By End-user Vertical
188.8.131.52 Soft Drinks
6.1.5 Other End-user Verticals
6.2.1 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.2.4 Latin America
126.96.36.199 Rest of Latin America
6.2.5 Middle East & Africa
188.8.131.52 United Arab Emirates
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle East & Africa
7 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Owens-Illinois Inc.
7.1.2 Vidrala SA
7.1.3 Ardagh Packaging Group PLC
7.1.4 Wiegand-Glas GmBH
7.1.5 Verallia Packaging SAS (Horizon Holdings II SAS)
7.1.6 Vetropack Holding Ltd
7.1.7 Stölzle Glass Group (CAG Holding GmbH)
7.1.8 AGI Glasspack Ltd
7.1.9 Hindustan National Glass & Industries Ltd
7.1.10 Vitro SAB de CV
7.1.11 Consol glass (Pty) Ltd
7.1.12 Carib Glassworks Ltd
7.1.13 Gerresheimer AG
7.1.14 Toyo Glass Co. Ltd (Toyo Seikan Group)
7.1.15 BA Glass BV
7.1.16 Piramal Glass Ltd
7.1.17 Verescence France
7.1.18 APG Europe
7.1.19 Saver Glass
8 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS